Monday, April 19, 2010

chicken with a few hints

Chicken cordon bleu. Yum-o (as Rachael Ray would say). Basically this was my plan. I bought chicken cutlets, ham, and fontina cheese. We had some puff pastry in the freezer. I was going to grate the fontina, and layer the chicken, ham and cheese inside the puff pastry. A tip about puff pastry. When you use it, make sure to seal it back up nicely before putting it back in the freezer. Freezer burn makes icky pastry. Also. Make sure it defrosts entirely before trying to roll it out or you get broken pastry.

So, I tried to make it in a ramekin. I ended up serving half raw chicken to Dennis and had to put it back on the baking sheet to finish. :( After it was done, it was very good though, so don't let me ruin it for you. In the future, I'd make sure to dry the chicken and ham well - because there was a lot of moisture in the ramekin. Also - follow the tips for puff pastry success, namely the lack of freezer burn and the proper defrosting. Pockets would have been better.

PS - I cleaned the house today! Yay for vacation! All that's left is the upstairs bathroom because I totally hit the wall and could not clean another square inch. It will have to wait until tomorrow!

PPS - I'm taking Grammy to a very special lunch tomorrow... more details to follow! I'm totally excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment