Friday, April 2, 2010

risotto = love

I decided that if you make risotto, you must really love cooking. You have to lovingly make it little by little.

I found a great recipe in "Cooking Light" that I want to share. Yes... risotto = love, but don't' let me turn you off from this recipe because I'm making it sound like a lot of work. I didn't slave in the kitchen - I promise. I just had to be available in the kitchen to add the broth. You'll see...

The recipe is for Shiitake and Sweet Pea Risotto - but I used portabello and white button mushrooms. I couldn't find fresh shiitake mushrooms at Market Basket - only dried... and I'm sad to report that the package smelled like stinky feet. I went for a mushroom that didn't stink. (I'll be open minded... maybe the fresh ones aren't gross, but the dried ones WERE!)

4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 and 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
3/4 cup frozen green peas
6 tablespoons grated parm. cheese, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan - keep warm over low heat. (This is the secret - this is the first time I've successfully made risotto and I think this was part of the reason... heating the broth first!)

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add rice and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.

Add wine - cook for 2 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.

Stir in 1/2 cup broth. Cook for 2 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining both - 1/2 cup at a time - stirring frequently. Do this for each portion, making sure it is fully absorbed before adding the next. (About 20 minutes).

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms to pan and saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic and 1 teaspoon thyme. Saute for 1 minute and set aside.

Stir mushrooms, remaining teaspoon thyme, peas, 1/4 cup cheese, and pepper into risotto. Cook for 3 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cheese.

While the broth was simmering I chopped the onion, garlic and thyme (oh - I actually grate my garlic into the mixture because I don't like chunks of garlic in the risotto, and because it is easier!) and sliced the mushrooms. While the risotto cooks, I sauteed the mushrooms.

I served this with a side salad. Here are the nutrition stats...

Yield - 4 servings, 1 and 1/4 cups each. Calories: 324 Fat: 10g Protein: 11.7g Fiber 4.5g

No comments:

Post a Comment