Thursday, April 1, 2010

food for thought

Have you seen that new TV show "Food Revolution"? We watched the first episode on Hulu and decided to set up the TiVo for a season pass. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about... it's hosted by Jamie Oliver - a British chef on a quest to promote healthy eating in our children through education. It really got me thinking about the food I make - yes, I know most of it DOES feature fresh veggies meat, whole grains, fruit, etc, but some of it doesn't. You wouldn't know it because I don't blog about my trip through the Wendy's drive thru. I planned a nice week of good eats this week.

Breakfast: Kashi instant oatmeal - I make it during my first period planning time.

Lunch: Greek yogurt, cheerios (dry), fruit (oranges).

Dinner: 2 days of Blue Cheese-Stuffed Chicken with Buffalo Sauce, 2 days of Shiitake and Sweet Pea Risotto, and a freebie day (tonight - Thai from our favorite place in N. Andover).

It's hard to avoid those trips through the drive thru, or those pizza nights... and I'm not really a TV person - but this show really got to me. I don't have kids yet :) but I pledge to make sure they know what veggies are - and not be eating crap processed food for dinner every night.

Oh - you're looking for recipes? Well you're going to have to be patient. They're coming your way.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Kashi oatmeal. Also, I've been meaning to watch "Food Revolution." Thanks for reminding me. I saw the clip that Dennis posted on Facebook and it yet again confirmed that my crispy chicken sandwiches from the Wendy's drive-through have got to stop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been eating the steel-cut oatmeal - it's great for the digestion!
    ----
    I saw Food Revolution - I think it was the first show. Sadly, I haven't seen it again, but I want to! It was very interesting!

    I couldn't believe it when none of the children could identify any of the vegetables. Whether it was a potato, tomato, pepper, or cucumber! None!

    Part of the problem is that fresh(er) vegetables cost more. You could see it in the school officials' faces, and of course hear it in their words. The less healthy items are cheaper...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree - the fresh veggies are expensive. Dennis and I could do our groceries super cheap if we were buying frozen junk. We've talked about it before.

    I was also in shock that the kids couldn't ID a potato.

    ReplyDelete