Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 17 - a week in style

Sunday afternoon. It's got that "just about to snow" feeling outside...

I was looking at my Friday night list - and I think I forgot about the fact that I have Monday off! (I know, I know... how can I forget a day off? I don't know either!) I've decided to put off the cooking and the dusting, etc. until tomorrow when I'm home. You're off the hook this week, Dennis!

So - I have two challenges for this week. Want to do them with me?

Number one. The leftovers challenge. I decided that this was "Tex-Mex" week at my house. The goal is to make a couple of things and use them in different ways throughout the
week - to save food, time, and $$$!

So here's the weekly menu.

Tonight is leftover night already - I brought home some of Katie's baked mac & cheese. I'm going to pair it with some Merlot since I don't have to work tomorrow!!!

I'm making a half batch of that minestrone soup from last week. I'm going to divide it between four plastic storage containers and BAM - lunch is packed for the week. I'm going to cook the pasta separately and store it separately. I don't like it when it gets over absorbed in the soup!

The big staple of the week is going to be "fiesta rice" which I found on the wonderful blog "Tiny Kitchen Cooking". I'll be using it sometimes as a side dish, and I'm going to try it as a filling in a stuffed baked burrito. I'm also going to making chicken with a cilantro marinade, and chipotle bean burritos! Ole! Exact recipes to come...

Challenge number two? I'm very excited about it. It's all about clothes. (I got the idea from the "my happy house" blog - link to the right. My friend Christy also does this and says it works well!) I went to home goods and picked up a big basket with a lid (the lid is to keep the cat out!). I picked out clothes - including undergarments and socks - and got them set for the week! The hanger stuff I organized so the clothes will go Tuesday through Friday. The folded stuff is organized by day in the basket. Now, weather it's packing my gym bag the night before, or getting dressed in the morning, everything's set. I'm thinking this will keep my outfits from looking thrown together, and save me a lot of time - especially in the morning. No more morning meltdowns because I'm half dressed and can't find the skirt that matches my shirt. (Yes, please tell me I'm not the only one who's had these morning meltdowns!)

Want to join me in the leftovers or the clothes challenge? Tell us about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment