Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 4 - Disaster in the Kitchen

The day started off not so great. I was awake until 1:00am totally stressing about work and our upcoming concert this week. I had every intention of going to the gym, but at 1:00 the idea of that alarm going off at 4:30am was too much to take. I reset it for 6:00. So my gym bag was abandoned - the upside? It's all packed for tomorrow!

After a crazy day I came home looking forward to making creamy spinach soup. The instructions were to simmer the spinach in 8 cups of chicken broth. I did this. Next, I was supposed to transfer this to a blender and blend until smooth. I filled my blender and set aside the remaining spinach/chicken broth mixture in a bowl.
Easy.

I turned the blender on.


Apparently when you agitate hot steamy liquid in a blender the steam will blow the lid off of the blender sending boiling hot spinach and chicken broth flying all over the kitchen. All over the counters, the floor, the cabinets, and all over me. I had spinach in my eyes - I had to go to the bathroom to take out my contacts. This is upsetting.

Foolishly, I thought maybe I had overfilled the blender so I filled it only halfway and tried again. Ka-Boom! I clamped my hand over the lid in an attempt to control the eruption, but this only resulted in a burned, spinachy hand. Dennis walks in the door at this point. I'm on the verge of tears, there is spinach all over my newly washed floor, cabinets, countertop, and wall... not to mention the new shirt my brother and sister-in-law gave me for Christmas. He quickly decided he did not want to be involved whatever I had going on in the kithcen.


I salvaged as much of the spinach mixture possible and tried to finish the recipe. I had already come this far...

So, I read the next part of the recipe. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. No problem. I set it on the stove. Next, slowly add half and half. Ugh. Are you kidding me? I forgot to buy half and half. I donn't even have milk. At this point I've had it. I'm throwing in the towel. I instructed my husband to call the local pizza place and get subs. Forget it. I'm not destined to cook tonight. As I rounded the corner back into the kitchen butter was splattering all over the stove making a terrible mess - oops, should have turned that off.

So now the kitchen is freshly scrubbed. My gym bag is packed for tomorrow. Hopefully it's a better day!

No comments:

Post a Comment