Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 2 - Planning the Weekend

There's **snow** falling from the sky in New Hampshire this morning. I feel glad that I get to write to you from my dining room table - the room is still under construction, but all tools and such have been organized in the corner.

Before I share my weekend plans, I want to share a great recipe with you! My brother and sister-in-law called yesterday and invited us over to watch a movie, and we couldn't go because I was already knee deep in my cooking project. The recipe is for lentil soup, it's delicious, it makes a TON, and it takes forever. :)

Here you go...

1 pound lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large celery stalks, diced

2 large carrots, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 pound pancetta or ha
m, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon sweet basil
1 teaspoon sage
2 bay leaves
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups precooked pasta (small like orzo or pastini)
salt and pepper
to taste
freshly grated Romano cheese


Cover the lentils with a few inches of water and soak overnight, discarding any that float to the top. The following day, rinse the lentils and put them in a large pot, covering them again with 2-3 inces of water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 hour. (**I'm going to try not soaking the lentils next time to get a thicker soup**)

Add the olive oil, celery, carrots, onion, pancetta or ham, garlic, basil, sage, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, adding more water if you need to.

When the lentils are soft and the soup is thick, stir in the chicken broth. Continue to simmer to another 30 minutes or so, adding more water/broth to achieve the consistency you prefer. (**I did not precook my pasta - since I wanted a thicker soup, I added uncooked pasta at this point**)

When the soup is the proper consistency, add the pasta and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in soup bowls with grated cheese on the side. (Recipe from "Elodia Rigante's Italian Immigrant Cooking")

It was delicious. While the soup was cooking, I cleaned the bedroom. Removed all junk that we don't use, organized my drawers, polished the furniture and floors. It was so nice waking up in there this morning! Also - for the record - I hate this wallpaper. It's not high on the to-do list though, we decided to tackle downstairs first.

My dresser - don't mind the gym bag in the corner. It's got a couple of things I need to remember to bring to work on Monday. :)


The bed - Tommy says "Hi."


The nightstand and my husband's dresser. A pile of viola music on the chair... I can live with that - it keeps me on task with my practicing.


The sweater chest.

So... the weekend agenda you ask?
* Make salad for my in-law's New Year's party this afternoon.
* Put away laundry.
* Iron.
* Make shopping list and grocery shop.
* Clean upstairs bathroom - the last room to get a good cleaning to start 2010.
* Probably get some cooking done for the week - it's going to be a busy one.

What's your weekend agenda??

No comments:

Post a Comment